Overall confidence in and the quality of conformity assessments of products can be enhanced by ensuring that Conformity assessment bodies CAB (testing, certification and inspection laboratories) themselves comply with relevant requirements and possess the necessary technical competence, independence and impartiality.
Particular areas include:
- Increased metrological support to CAB in the form of measurement advice and in assessing measurement uncertainty:
- Better coordination of metrological training, conferences and knowledge exchange
- Programmes of technical assistance and development, cooperation with third countries and promotion and enhancement of European metrology
- Enhanced access to metrological traceability through:
- Regular calibrations of CAB measurement standards (and methods) with a laboratory higher in the hierarchy.
- Better organisation of inter-comparison activities
 ISO/IEC 17025:2005, General requirements for the competence of testing and calibration laboratories.