While ‘risk’ is a prime mover in some areas of nanotechnology, many nanoproducts which are not dangerous also rely on nanometrology to ensure general product quality and conformity compliance to facilitate trade and promote customer satisfaction and efficient production.
Nanotechnology in its myriad of applications will need standardisation regarding:
- Terminology & nomenclature
- Measurement & characterisation of nanosystems
- Health, safety and environmental impact
- Product and process standards
- CEN Nanotechnologies
- ISO TC 229 “Nanotechnologies”